Chocolate, it just makes life better. Well, in this JNY Fun With Food Blog we make a chocolate favorite even better with some healthy hacks: avocado, coconut oil and maple syrup. I first tasted these delightful little nuggets at a local yoga retreat (check out Centerpeace Yoga) and they are so yummy! I love surprising my students at Lifesource Yoga with these and baking them up with my PEACE Retreat peeps. Try your hand at them and let me know what your taste buds think.
- 1 and 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour (gluten-free all purpose works or brown rice flour)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 3/4 c non-dairy milk (I use almond)
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (use vegan if preferred)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 cup muffin pan (I like to make minis!) with paper liners or use coconut oil and a bit of flour to reduce sticking.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a blender or food processor puree together the avocado, milk, oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter into muffin pans. Bake regular muffins for 20-25 minutes. Bake minis for 10-12. In both cases use a toothpick to test doneness. It should come out clean when baked fully.
- Remove muffins from oven and let cool in the pan on a wire cooling rack for 5 minutes. Lastly remove muffins from the pan and allow to cool completely. Enjoy!