Whew! It’s been a while since I did a blog post, even longer since a recipe one. I don’t know about you but I still feel like I’m in a weird time spiral since the pandemic. That said, no time like the present to get back on track. I recently took that step by joining a fall program to reset my body, mind and spirit. It’s the first time I’ve taken a deep dive into learning more about Ayurveda which is the sister science to yoga. A big part of it involves enhancing nutrition through a mostly plant-based diet. One recommendation is to get in a beet and an apple daily so I got creative and made this salad the other day. It incorporates several fabulous fall veggies that are packed with fiber which we all know is important to overall health. If you like crunchy, sweet and tart then this dish is definitely for you. I throw on some hemp seeds and pine nuts for protein and happy fats. See where your taste buds lead you!
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 apple
- 2 large carrots
- 2 small or 1 large beet
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- hemps seeds, pine nuts, sunflower or other nuts/seeds of choice
- Clean and dry apple, carrots and beet(s). Peel first layer of leaves off cabbage and cut the head in half.
- Chop cabbage to desired size and toss in a large bowl with salt. Set aside.
- Cut apple Julienne style and shred carrots and beets. Add to cabbage and mix together.
- Add 1/2c apple cider vinegar and mix thoroughly. Add more if desired.
- Let sit for at least an hour. Serve cold sprinkled with nuts and/or seeds of choice.