There’s great delight in cozying up with a hot, delicious cup of soup on a cool day. It’s even better when you share this pot of nutrition and taste with friends and family. In this installment of “Fun With Food” I share my favorite veggie soup recipe. This is one of my go to dishes for PEACE Retreats and other events with clients here at the Lake Studio. It’s also what I take to most potlucks during the fall and winter. Make it as directed or follow your culinary creativity to make it your own home cooked happiness. Grab your ingredients and head on over the video below to get your soup on!
- 2 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 medium yellow or white onions
- 3-5 large cloves fresh garlic, diced
- 1 Tbsp diced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp diced fresh tumeric
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cup chopped radish and/or potatoes
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1.5 cups dried green lentils
- 2 Tbsp vegetable boullion
- 6 cups water
- salt, pepper and additional spices to taste
- In a large stock pot, warm oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add in garlic, ginger and tumeric. Continue cooking for another 3 minutes or so stirring gently here and there.
- Add in the rest of the veggies in the order listed. Saute for another 8-1o minutes stirring frequently. While doing that, boil your first 2 cups of water then stir in the bouillon till dissolved to make your vegetable broth. Let stand.
- Add the lentils last and finish sautéing and stirring everything together for 8-10 more minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and remaining 4 cups of water (warm from tap is fine). Bring to a simmer and keep it there until all veggies and lentils are well cooked to desired texture, typically about 20 minutes. Add salt, pepper and other spices of choice (I usually add more powered ginger and tumeric) during this phase. If you like a thicker, stew-like soup then leave the lid off during the simmer. Cover to keep the soup more brothy.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and/or add shredded cheese or feta. Enjoy!